Friday, October 30, 2009

The best husband...

One of my best friends, since 8th grade, during college, and beyond! gave birth early this morning. She had been in labor for over 40 hours (seriously?!) and finally at 2:53 AM, Miss Clara Grace came into this world. Clara is kind of a miracle baby. She has defied all odds and is a happy, healthy, beautiful little girl. There were a couple of issues along the way - nothing serious - but I won't lie, I was a bit worried... I was lying in bed last night, worrying, and I prayed to God that he would watch over my friend, her husband and baby on the way.

And, I also prayed for Jordan. In that moment, last night, I realized that he is not safe... that he is in a war torn country, and is fighting for our freedom and trying to make Afghanistan a better place. I realized that I don't get to talk to him every day, or have him hold me at night, and that he hasn't gotten to talk to his baby girl in over a week. And, I cried. I haven't cried a lot since Jordan left. I mean, I've had my moments where I miss him, or I get frustrated because he isn't here, but I haven't really cried.

I didn't sleep well... between worrying about my friend and having gotten a flu shot yesterday (dang flu shots!) I tossed and turned all night. I woke up this morning, and still no word on the baby. I was tired and felt kind of feverish (again, dang flu shot!) but, after having no fever, I forced myself to go into work. It's the day before Halloween, it'll be a good day, right? Abigail got to wear her Halloween costume at daycare (hopefully pictures to come) and there was a ton of food at work. Things surely had to be looking up!

About 8:30, I got the text - the baby was here! She had been born very early that morning, which is why we didn't know right away. Everyone was doing great and we could come visit this weekend! I was so happy! I talked to one of my other great friends and we talked about how relieved we were and how exciting the new baby was.

Then, about 10:30 my phone rang... it was Jordan! It was so good to hear his voice. I cried on the phone to him, after he pried what was wrong out of me. We talked and caught up on what had been going on in each of our lives, which just seems so weird - we used to talk every night, there was no need to fill him in on Abby's latest tricks, he was there to see them, and he told me he was safe and that he loved me. All I needed to hear.

After lunch I got a call from the front office at work. Come up to the lobby - quick! I was kind of worried, "quick", that can't be good! I asked what was going on and I was directed to the lobby where there was a woman holding the most beautiful boquet of flowers. They were gorgeous. She told me they were "from afar" and I got all teared up. How did he know?? The below pictures will tell you that this boquet took a while to put together. There is no way that he ordered them after we got off the phone and they were delivered by 12:30. I don't think the pictures do it justice, but here they are...

Over all shot ~ so unique and pretty!

The bottom half - you can't tell, but the pot/vase is chalk board - very cool

Top half

1 comment:

Meg said...

Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous... I love you girl. Hang in there... Send me a msg with your cell number--I'd love to talk with you and catch up sometime.