Wednesday, March 10, 2010

GI Joe (My Hero)

Since we're getting ready to leave, and Jordan is already in route to us, I think it's safe to do this post now. Note: I wrote this when I turned in my final entry for the LBB & Dharma Design Challenge. The contest is over now, and I ended up getting 4th place!! Never in 100 years would I have imagined being a finalist, much less doing that well! Thank you all for your support!!


I had been struggling with this dress for a few weeks. I had this vision in my head of the perfect dress for Abigail to wear when she sees Jordan again in Germany, and I couldn’t get a tie-dye color to match my vision. Until this weekend.


This is my fourth, and final, entry in the Lil Blue Boo and Dharma Trading Design Challenge. I used the recycled t-shirt hoodie pattern, and lengthened it (with a ruffle) to make it into a dress. I picked up this “GI Joe” t-shirt clear back at Christmas time and had been waiting for the right inspiration to make it into a dress for Abby. Well, Germany seemed to be the perfect inspiration, and when I saw Ashley’s hoodie pattern, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I used Dylon’s Olive color to tie-dye some white knit fabric, and it turned out perfectly (after trying other colors, which looked horrible with the t-shirt). I knew that I needed to put some pink in there somewhere, so people knew Abigail was a girl (in case the ruffle didn’t give it away!).

I added cuffs to the sleeves (from the collar of the pink t-shirt) and used Ashley’s freezer paper stenciling technique to add a red, white and blue stripe to the ruffle.

It turned out perfectly, and I think Abigail’s dada will be very happy when he sees it! Of course, he probably won’t care what we’re wearing when he sees us, but he’ll love the dress, I’m sure of it!

The finished product


A detail shot of the hood/collar.
I used pink thread, and I’m really glad I did ~ I really love the contrast


Abigail loves it!


And, now it's time to go!

1 comment:

Meg said...

yay!!!! have so much fun!! I can't wait to hear all about it and see pics :)