Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Northwest t-shirt dress!

I got a sewing machine back in, oh, August (maybe September) and up until last night have used it to make some little things, but haven't attempted any big projects ~ I think I was waiting for just the right one.

Well I stumbled upon this blog ~ lil blue boo. The creator, Ashley, is a stay at home mom with amazing talent! She not only makes her daughter the most adorable dresses and clothes (many out of recycled t-shirts!!), but also makes patterns so that other moms can use her designs! She is a painter, too, and a really great one! I am thinking of commisioning her to do a portrait of Abigail... what do you think?

Anyways, I bought one of her patterns and I was seriously, so excited to try it out. She emailed it to me yesterday, so I stopped at JoAnn Fabric on my way home and picked up spray starch and a disappearing ink pen. I contained my excitement while I fed and bathed Abigail, while we played and finally! she was in bed and I could begin. I sat down to print out the pattern pieces (this is the age of computers - it is an ePattern - how great, right?) and what do you know? We're out of paper! Of course we would be out of paper. It was too late to go somewhere to get some, so I improvised and used card stock. Not ideal for patterns, I know, but it was going to have to work!

I cut each piece out and followed her instructions very carefully. As the title of my post says, this was a recycled t-shirt dress. So, I found an old Northwest t-shirt... I wanted something that, if this didn't go so well, I wouldn't be heartbroken about, but if it did turn out, would still be amazingly cute. I settled on a yellow Northwest t-shirt, and a green (with white polka-dots) tank top. I pieced everything out how I wanted it and made the first cut! I had decided early on all I was going to do last night was cut everything out, and maybe pin one sleeve...

Well, after cutting everything, starching it (the pattern came with not only instructions, but helpful tips and tricks - like starching your t-shirt material, since it likes to curl), and pinning the first sleeve I couldn't resist! I had to sew...

the sleeves on the front...

then the back on...

then do the top stiching (notice, I actually had a straight line!!)

I ended up sewing almost everything together (I was up until 11:30). I left the ruffel and collar for today. I knew the collar would be difficult, and it was important that it was straight, so I decided to sleep and try it this morning.

the pinned collar...

THE finished dress!!

I used the sienna dress pattern. It's really great. Not only does Ashley give you tips and tricks, but there are also so many variations for it. She tells you how to do each variation and if I can do it, anyone can. Seriously. I don't think I have made a piece of clothing since 4H, and that was in Jr High (if not elementary!).

So, start sending me your old t-shirts and I'll start making them into adorable dresses for my little girl (or your little girl!)

Here are some pictures of my model... she wasn't very into modeling, she would rather play!




Comments?

4 comments:

Jessica Sorensen said...

Thats awesome Ashley I am so impressed. Sewing a straight line is harder then people think. I may have to try this out for Addi.gybumsiv

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

yeah for the upcycling i totally need to try this

KPlacek said...

SOOOOO flippin' cute - LOVE it :)

Meg said...

Love it!! Super cute!!