Monday, July 20, 2009

I wish...

So I've been thinking about this lately and decided to finally blog about it. For those of you who don't already know Jordan is deploying to Afghanistan... he mobilizes August 3rd, so in two weeks. I have known for a long time that at some point this year he would likely be going somewhere. First it was Kuwait, then Iraq and now Afghanistan. He is going to be on an Agricultural development team helping teach the Afghan people how to sustain agriculture.

Onto the title of my post... a few years ago a "friend" stated that Jordan "just plays Army" and said that he isn't "really in the Military". At the time I took it in stride and just kept my mouth shut, and to be honest, I'd kinda forgotten about it until recently... Now all I can say or do is wish that she was right! I know that some people are a bit ignorant when it comes to the National Guard and don't understand the commitment that it seriously is, or the reality of the fact that those men and women are soldiers and can still be deployed. Or the fact that my husband, as a National Guard pilot, flies more hours every year than an active duty pilot (seriously).

What frustrates me the most about her statement is not that she, and other people, do not understand. It's that my daughter is going to miss out on having her father here for the next year, and more than that, that Jordan is going to miss out on the next year of her life. Yes, we will be in touch through email and Skype, but it isn't the same as him being here. Yes, he can read her a bed time story, but he won't be able to give her a good night kiss and tuck her into bed. Yes, he'll be able to tell her he loves her and hear her say it back, but he won't be able to catch her when she falls or feed her dinner. There are so many things that they're both going to miss out on over the next 13 1/2 months and no one but Abigail, Jordan and I will truly understand. Yes, there are military family support groups and I'm sooo lucky to have so many amazing friends (one of which has been there more than once!!) and my family is the greatest, but it won't be the same as having him here...

4 comments:

Meg said...

I'm crying...
I'm so sorry Ash. I don't know what to say. I love you so much, and you know if you ever need anything, I'm around.

Jessica Sorensen said...

I don't think I knew he was leaving. I am so sorry. You and Abigail should come visit us in CT so I can show you a good time and distract you from missing your husband. We can even leave the babies with my husband and have a girls night in the city.

Ashley said...

Thanks guys... I wrote the post to vent, not to get "I'm sorrys" but I definitely appreciate it. See what I mean about having the best friends and family?! :)

Renae said...

I'm so sorry!!! That would be SO, SO tough and I hope the times goes quickly! You're in my prayers!