Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby Gear, Part I

Baby Gear

A few months ago (okay about 9, now?!) one of my super close friends was getting ready to have her baby and she emailed me to ask if I would put together a list of my favorite baby things.  Those things that I couldn't live without, those baby things that made my life easier and I would whole heartedly recommend to everyone.  Of course I said I'd love to and was really excited to get started.  As I got started I quickly realized that there were a lot of items that I really loved.  I figured, since I'm getting closer to having our little peanut, and I have a lot of friends that are currently expecting, or hope to be soon, I'd make this into a series of blog posts, just to make the flow better, and to make it not so overwhelming.

Here's the first part of the list... the tiny baby stuff...

*Chicco travel system ~ We went into the baby store and were planning to get a Graco, however the sales people there did a wonderful job selling us on the Chicco.  It is crashed tested to a higher speed (plus) but the main selling point was the ease at which you can get he babe in and out.  If you plan to get a big, heavy duty stroller, than the travel system is the best deal, price wise.  The stroller is big, and takes up quite a bit of space in the car, but it drives well and seems super comfy for the kiddos as they grow.  I really like that the infant carrier just snaps on the stroller and cannot be easily tipped.  We bought an extra base for our second car and were good-to-go.




*Gowns ~ When I first received these for a baby gift, I thought they were silly, but I ended up loving them.  I'm pretty sure Abigail lived in them for the first few weeks of her life.  Most of them are long sleeved and have the pocket/mitten things so the tiny peanuts can’t scratch themselves.  The big plus (for me) was that they cover the baby's entire body but have elastic at the bottom to easily change diapers ~ no snaps to undo!



*Boppy ~ I absolutely adored my boppy.  We used it for so many things… It really helped with breastfeeding (so you'll probably see it again during that post), but we also used it to prop Abigail up when she was on her tummy, to help her sit up, and (my favorite) I would put it under the mattress of her crib when she was stuffy.  And, there are lots of fun covers out there, so you can make it very personalized! :)




*Diapers ~ I LOVE Pampers Swaddlers and Cruisers.  Yes, they're expensive, but if you watch ads and sales (and clip coupons!) you can get them for a decent price.  After Abby got a bit older we would use Luvs during the day and Pampers at night, because the Luvs are so much cheaper.  We had too many blowouts with Huggies, so I never bought them (we got some as a shower gift).  I tried the target brand a couple times and they’re okay, too, just stiffer and not as soft.  They weren’t that much cheaper than Luvs, so I went with Luvs.

 
*BundleMe ~ If your baby is going to be in his infant carrier through the winter,  you HAVE to have a JJCole BundleMe.  It's an amazing invention!  You put it in the carseat and then it zips up and your little bundle stays all comfy and warm inside.  We never had to buy Abby a winter coat because we had that thing.  It’s all snuggly and furry inside and you can unzip it once you’re in the car, so your sweet baby doesn't suffocate when you turn the heat on.  AND, since you’re not supposed to have coats on inside the carseats anyway, it’s really nice.




*Onesies ~ I have no huge opinion about onesies, but these are my observations: Gerber run small, like 3 months smaller when washed.  It is fairly obvious when they are washed and dried.  The Carter's brand are super soft, and seem to run true-to-size.  Unless small babies tend to run in the family (both mom and dad's family!) I wouldn’t recommend buying too many newborn things, maybe one pack of onesies and the "bringing baby home" outfit.  We had one newborn outfit, and it fit Abigail for only about a week (she was born just under 8 pounds) so I'm really glad we did not buy a lot of newborn sized clothing.

Okay, that's it for tonight!  What were the "tiny baby" things that YOU couldn't live without?

No comments: