Thursday, June 16, 2011

A "mini" vacation

Last night I started this post, but what I didn't anticipate was the extremely slow internet connection! Maybe I'm just spoiled with our internet connection at home, but... it took an hour (literally) to upload the pictures for this post... 

Onto the post!:
Last weekend we took a little vacation to Omaha. We really wanted to visit the zoo this year, last time I took Abby (Jordan was getting ready to deploy, I think) and she was really too little to enjoy it. Well, apparently 2.5 is a great age, because she loved it!!

Friday morning we ate breakfast and headed to the zoo...

The Omaha Zoo is unique for so many reasons, if you haven't been, you need to. Honestly, I think it's a must see! The first place we headed was to the Gorilla Valley and Orangutan Forest.

There are a lot of "bubbles" where the kids can climb into the Gorilla's environments and interact with the animals. It's really awesome.

Abigail and Mommy with the Gorilla statues

Abby observing

Abby and Mommy in the bubble!

Checking out the gorillas!


Up close!

Abby loved the gorillas ~ one of them almost kissed her through the glass.

The zoo has a really neat Skyfari and Abby told us multiple times that she wanted to ride the "big swing", and the fee was only $2 per person (Abby was free), so we though, why not?!

Abby and Mommy on the Skyfari!

We started at the top, by the Rhinos... and ended at the bottom by the Butterfly and Insect Pavilion.

Abby and Daddy
We rode the Skyfari back to the top (we left the stroller there) and walked back down. On our way down we went into the Exhibition, Madagascar exhibit. Then we headed to the Jungle! That is still one of my favorite exhibits at the zoo. Abigail loved the waterfalls and even walked the rope bridge!

Crossing the rope bridge in the Jungle!

Swinging on the vines
We finished our time at the zoo in the Kingdoms of the Night exhibit, and then decided it was time for lunch. Not to worry, we had some snacks along the way, but Jordan and I were hungry! Well, we were getting into the Old Market and I turned around and saw this...

All tuckered out!

We decided to let her nap and headed to Lincoln, instead. When I was little (not Abby's age little, but little) I can remember having tons of fun at the Children's Museum. So, we decided to spend our afternoon there.

She always says she's going to be an Astronaut and walk on the moon!

She loved preforming on stage!


The BIG chair! I'm pretty sure there's a picture somewhere of me in this chair, but it was white.


Driving a tractor. A green tractor! Sorry Uncle Tim! :)

Feeding the cow.

Riding a horse!
After we exhausted ourselves running around the Children's Museum, we headed to the Lincoln HayMarket and ate at Brix & Stone. Jordan ordered the highly recommended Chicken and Waffles, and I have to say, it was really good! The waffles were amazing and they have this homemade strawberry butter... YUM!

Cheers!!

"No more pictures!"

4 comments:

Amber Dawn said...

Oh my gosh...how fun!!! I've never ate at Brix and stone, but we will have to try that next time we are in Lincoln. I love this post Ash!

Desiree Macke said...

I LOVE the Omaha Zoon! That zoo has to be one of the best. It looks like there is so many cool things since my last visit. And, it looks like Abby had a blast!

Desiree Macke said...

*Zoo (oops, I guess I got pretty excited about the zoo:)

A Steiner Story said...

Ashley - Abby is adorable! I can't believe the last time I saw her was when she was Shelby's age! I love the zoo pictures - it must be amazing to have Jordan home too. Have fun and take care!